An application for admission must include an originating application, made by counsel who moves the admission of the candidate in form LA 1, plus an affidavit in support, sworn by the candidate:
Candidates with a current practising certificate in Australia, (qualifying under s49(4) LCA (under the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Act 1997)), must apply direct to the High Court, following form LA 4.
The Law Society suggests all applicants should use form LA 5 to seek to have the order for admission sealed, and should hold a copy for possible future use.
(The above forms are all precedents prepared by the Law Society.)
Certificates of Standing
- If you're going overseas or applying to be a notary public, request a Certificate of Standing.
- If you're applying for Legal Aid status, request a Legal Aid Provider Certificate of Standing.
Incorporated law firms
- Use the Notification of Incorporated Law Firm form to advise the Law Society of the incorporated law firm’s name, and the names of its directors and shareholders.
- Use the Advice of Change of Incorporated Law Firm Details form to advise the Law Society of any changes to the firm’s name, directors or shareholders.
Practice without a Trust Account
- Use the Practice without a Trust Account Election form to make an election not to receive money or other valuable property in trust under 317(1) of the LCA.
- Use the Practice without a Trust Account Revocation form to revoke the election not to receive money or other valuable property in trust.
- Use the Application for a Practising Certificate form to apply for a practising certificate.
- A referee report form should also be completed where appropriate.
- Fees payable are set out in the fees schedule to 30 June 2019.
Profession legal education
You can use the Professional Education Record form to note all your professional education over this twelve month period.
Real estate services
Use the Real Estate Services form to notify the Law Society of any intention to start or stop offering real estate services.
Please use the Application for a Refund of your Practising Certificate form to notify the Law Society that you wish to cancel your practising certificate and request a refund for the unused portion of your practising fees. This form must be completed and signed by the person whose name is on the practising certificate.
If you are a part-time lawyer in private practice you may be eligible for a rebate on your practising fee. The rebate applies in arrears, and lawyers may apply for a rebate from 1 July of the practising fee paid for the previous full year from 1 July to 30 June.
Use the Application for Rebate of Practising Fee form to apply for a rebate on your practising fee.
- Use the Firm Update form to notify the Law Society of any changes to your firm/organisation.
- Use this form to notify the Law Society of any changes to your practice or contact details.
- Use the Advice of Change of Name form to notify the Law Society when you change your name.
Sole practitioners and sole directors of incorporated law firms are required, under s44(1)(a) and the Schedule 1 of the LCA, to give a power of attorney and appoint an alternate.
- Use the Power of Attorney by a Lawyer In Sole Practice form, to give a power of attorney to an agent and appoint an alternate to conduct your sole practice; or
- Use the Power of Attorney by a Sole Director of an Incorporated Law Firm form, to give a power of attorney and appoint an alternate to act as the board of your incorporated law firm.
Trust Account certificates
All monthly and quarterly Trust Account certificates are filed online via Registry.
Last updated on the 23rd November 2018