The Gisborne branch of the New Zealand Law Society had its beginnings in February 1907 when the Gisborne District Law Society was founded. This became the Gisborne branch of the Law Society on 1 February 2009.
Governance is by an elected Branch Council, consisting of the branch President, the Vice-President and nine Council members. The President, Tiana Epati, represents the branch on the New Zealand Law Society's Council.
The branch functions include representing and serving the interests of local members, upholding the fundamental obligations imposed by the Lawyers and Conveyancers Act 2006 on lawyers who provide regulated services, promoting collegiality within the branch and assisting and promoting law reform.
The Gisborne branch includes the centres of Gisborne, Ruatoria and Wairoa.
Lawyers in Practice
At 1 October 2015 there were 59 practising lawyers in the Gisborne branch area.
Last updated on the 1st October 2015