JustSpeak is looking for a new Board member.
JustSpeak is a movement of young people who are speaking up and speaking out on criminal justice for a thriving Aotearoa New Zealand. Over the past five years, JustSpeak has held more than fifty public events reaching thousands of young people, launched and toured an art exhibition featuring the voices of formerly incarcerated people, and successfully campaigned to have 17 year olds included in our youth justice system, among other things.
Now, we are looking for a skilled legal practitioner to join our governance team. You will contribute to the strategic direction of JustSpeak, provide oversight of our finances, and ensure JustSpeak staff and volunteers are operating in line with our mission and values.
Specifically, we are looking for someone with:
- Governance experience;
- Knowledge of New Zealand’s legal system and criminal justice;
- Understanding and alignment with JustSpeak’s kaupapa.
Our values as a board are:
- Honouring and giving effect to Te Tiriti o Waitangi;
- Courageous independence to ensure we can speak up and speak out for transformative justice;
- Creativity and imagination to develop and advocate for alternative justice solutions;
- Whakawhanaungatanga and relationship building to achieve our goals;
- Working for diversity and inclusion by uplifting the voices and perspectives of those with lived experience of the justice system, and young people who will inherit its future, into the national conversation.
The Board meets once per quarter for a full day meeting in Wellington. The membership term is three years. It is a voluntary role. You can read more about who is already on the Board here. Applicants from outside Wellington are welcome - we will cover travel costs to attend board meetings.
To apply, please send a short expression of interest (no more than 750 words) as a PDF titled: [YOUR NAME JustSpeak Board] along with a current CV to email@example.com with the subject line BOARD APPLICATION.
Applications close 7 September 2019.
Please include your name, any relevant experience you have, and tell us why you would like to join the JustSpeak Board.
Last updated on the 13th August 2019