Head of Legal and Regulatory & Company Secretary - Auckland
- Opportunity to join the World’s Largest Publicly Traded Property and Casualty Insurer
- Expand your global networks and connections
- Collaborate in a dynamic and agile environment
About the Role:
To provide legal and governance support and advice across Chubb’s NZ business operations to assist in ensuring that its operations are conducted within the limits prescribed by law and regulation and that its rights are fully protected through the provision of legal counsel and guidance.
Legal and regulatory responsibilities:
To deliver a range of legal services to the New Zealand operations (under the direction of the General Counsel, Australia & New Zealand) including as to the following:
- Ensure that the company is informed of new or proposed legislation or regulatory activity that may affects it operations.
- Advise the company on its right and obligation pursuant to relevant Acts and regulations.
- Assume responsibility for the review of legal aspect of policy documentation, marketing material and delegate to other legal counsel staff accordingly.
- Negotiate, draft and settle all major contracts including distribution agreements, leases, loan agreements, securities and other commercial arrangements to safeguard the company’s interest, in conjunction with external legal advisors where necessary.
- Review legal aspects of the purchase of assets and associated contracts to protect the interest of the company.
- Ensure all trademarks, patents and processes are protected and in good standing.
- Select and retain external counsel as required, to obtain legal opinions, handle claims litigation. Establish policies governing the retention of external counsel ensuring consideration is given to the cost effectiveness of external counsel engagement.
*Ensure the company is in good standing and fulfills its obligations pursuant to key legislation and regulations.
Corporate Governance responsibilities:
To work with the assistant company secretary in relation to the Board Audit & Risk Committee and Board of Directors for the New Zealand operations including as to the following:
- Working with the assistant company secretary in respect of the formulation of meeting agendas; minuting of the meetings; coordination and circulation of Board related documents; ensure that correct procedures are followed.
- Reviewing developments in corporate governance and advising and assisting the Directors with respect to their duties and responsibilities and compliance with personal obligations under any relevant laws and internal policies.
- Filing information with the Registrar of Companies, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, Financial Markets Authority and any other relevant regulator to report certain changes regarding the company or comply with any reporting requirements.
- Management responsibilities:
- Report to, and seek guidance of matters from, Country President of NZ) in a transparent and timely manner.
- Where appropriate, report to, and seek guidance of matters from, General Counsel (A&NZ) and the Regional legal team in a transparent and timely manner.
- Provide support and guidance to the Compliance Manager and Legal Counsel (NZ) to enable them to carry out their responsibilities.
Qualifications & Skills Required:
- Law degree qualified with a minimum 8 years post qualification legal experience preferably in insurance and/or commercial law in either private legal practice or a corporate organisation (preferably an insurance company or other financial institution). Some litigation case management experience is preferable but not essential.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and escalations locally and regionally.
- Ability to work both autonomously and within a team.
- Demonstrated effective and pro-active communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills to be capable of dealing with all levels of Chubb personnel as well as external parties. Must be good with people.
- Strong strategic and analytical understanding of Financial Services sector, especially insurance.
- Specialised knowledge of how statutory and regulatory frameworks impact the insurance industry in New Zealand
- Strong understanding of all legal and compliance practices, principles and corporate governance requirements
- Industry qualifications preferred
Chubb is the world’s largest publicly traded property and casualty insurer. With operations in 54 countries, Chubb provides commercial and personal property and casualty insurance, personal accident and supplemental health insurance, reinsurance and life insurance to
multinational corporations, mid-size and small businesses; and affluent and high net worth individuals.
Last updated on the 1st July 2019