Intermediate/Senior Solicitor – Commercial and General Law - Wellington
- New intermediate / senior legal role
- Key strategic branch within our new Ministry
- Clear vision and mandate to support NZ communities
We think all Kiwis should have somewhere warm and dry to live, and we want our cities to lead the world in living standards. Now is your opportunity to be part of building a new Ministry and a brighter future for New Zealand.
The new Ministry of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is here to deliver the Government’s programme to address homelessness, increase public and private housing supply, make existing homes warmer and healthier. We want to make housing more affordable for people to rent and buy and lead quality urban development strategies to create thriving communities.
About the role and the team
Reporting to the Chief Legal Advisor our Intermediate / Senior Solicitor role will contribute directly to the operations of the Legal team. This team is responsible for providing guidance and support in several topical areas, including operational advice in relation to housing legislation and the Ministry’s corporate business, contracting, complex property and development transactions, privacy and development of policy and legislation.
This Intermediate / Senior Solicitor role will suit a candidate with a commercial contracting background who is interested in a wider role that also encompasses operational and public law advice, with the further option of working on property transactions and/or the development of legislation. You will be responsible for providing high-quality, timely, accurate and practical legal advice in a dynamic context and in a variety of forms, ranging from opinions to oral advice through to training clients. You will take the lead on some complex assignments and projects while contributing to the team’s overall programme of work.
What you will bring:
- Intermediate to senior legal expertise in commercial/contract law
- Proven ability to provide sound advice across all levels of the organisation
- Well-developed written and verbal communication ability which will allow you to convey key messages and ideas or simplify complex issues suitable to the audience
- Strong stakeholder management and negotiation skills
- Awareness of, and sensitivity to, the cultural values of different ethnic groups generally, and Tangata Whenua in particular
- Interest in the political decision-making process, and the Parliamentary legislative process
This is an exciting time to join our new Ministry where you will be part of creating the expectations, culture and success of this group right from the start. If this sounds just the opportunity you have been seeking then please apply online.
If you have any questions please feel free to email email@example.com. Please indicate the level of role Intermediate or Senior Solicitor you wish to be considered for in your cover letter.
Applications close on Tuesday 22 January 2019.
To apply please go to:
The Ministry of Housing and Urban Development website. Here you can view the attached full position description, as well as complete the online application. Please attach a CV and cover letter. For tracking and evaluation purposes, all applications must be formally submitted via the online application process.
Please note, to be considered for the role, you must have legal right to live and work in New Zealand and have the ability to obtain or maintain a confidential level security clearance.
Last updated on the 8th January 2019