Member of the Employment Relations Authority
- Vacancies are in Christchurch and Auckland
- Employment Relations Authority - Te Ratonga Ahumana Taimahi
- Fixed term - Full time
On behalf of the Minister for Workplace Relations and Safety, the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment is looking for people who have the experience, personal attributes and skills to be a member of the Employment Relations Authority.
The general function of the Employment Relations Authority is to assist employers and employees (and their representatives) to achieve and maintain successful employment relationships, by resolving problems that arise. As part of these general functions Authority members sit alone in the exercise of the statutory function of investigating and determining those matters for which it has jurisdiction.
- Common sense, practical, results oriented approach
- Ability to communicate effectively with people of differing cultural backgrounds, genders, and different capabilities
- Ability to respond sensitively and appropriately to the particular needs of Māori and other ethnicities and cultural or religious needs and beliefs
- Fair mindedness, impartiality, integrity, trustworthiness
- Self-awareness, self-control, patience, persistence, flexibility
Preference will be given to candidates who can demonstrate
- a high level of knowledge of employment law and practice in New Zealand (a legal qualification is not essential)
- experience in conducting hearings or mediations, and taking and assessing information and evidence
- the ability to gain acceptance by all parties to employment relationships, including unions, employers, parties' representatives and the general public
- a track record in writing clear and concise reports ideally for external publication
knowledge of tikanga Māori and a commitment to the Treaty of Waitangi
For full information and instructions on how to apply please open the ‘Information Pack' attached to the advertisement on the MBIE Careers Site. If you are viewing this advertisement from another site, clicking 'Apply' will take you through to the MBIE Careers site advertisement.
Please read the two attached files to this role. The Information Pack includes information about how to apply, the ideal person specification and the full role description.
How to apply
All applicants must submit a completed Candidate Information form (attached to this role as a Word document), a full CV and a covering letter as specified in the information pack.
If you have any questions please contact Mark Grant (Business Advisor) by emailing Mark.Grant@mbie.govt.nz
Applications close at midday on Monday 2 September 2019
Last updated on the 9th August 2019