Office Public Defender - Hawke's Bay
Public Defence Service, Hastings
- Provide effective leadership to the office and contribute to the leadership of PDS
- Contribute to the growth and development of some of New Zealand's best and brightest young lawyers
- Model well developed interpersonal skills and a collaborative approach
The Public Defence Service (PDS) is New Zealand's largest criminal law practice, providing high quality legal advice and representation in a full range of criminal cases. Aimed at helping all people of New Zealand access justice, the PDS promotes the values of respect, integrity, service and the delivery of excellent service to its clients. PDS Public Defenders are the voice of some of the most marginalised people in the criminal justice system.
PDS Hawke's Bay is looking for a senior lawyer with expertise and experience in both criminal advocacy and people leadership to lead a professional and committed team in our Hastings based office. Reporting directly to the Public Defender Southern, the Hawke's Bay Public Defender is an integral member of the PDS Legal Management Team and critical to the achievement of PDS operational and strategic goals. This really is a role where you can truly make a tangible difference to people's lives every day.
If you thrive in a challenging environment, are passionate about criminal justice and delivering the best outcomes for your clients, enjoy strengthening a positive culture and supporting the skill development of others, this could be the role for you!
To be successful you need to bring:
- a PAL 4 approval level, or the ability to obtain the same, and be qualified to practice law in New Zealand
- excellent relationship and people management skills
- specialist expertise and experience in criminal advocacy
- demonstrated credibility with judges, peers and others in the legal community
- confidence in your ability to inspire, support and empower your team
- empathy and the ability to relate to a wide range of people.
In return, the PDS offers varied case work, a national training programme including considerable professional development opportunities in both legal and leadership areas and a professional supervision programme all within a collegial and supportive environment.
The PDS is part of the Ministry of Justice and the wider justice sector.
Salary range: $135,000- $155,000
To apply, please visit our Careers Website. You can view a detailed position description at the site, as well as complete an online application form by attaching your CV and cover letter.
For tracking purposes, all applications must be submitted via our online process.
Applications close on Monday, 4 February 2019.
Last updated on the 21st December 2018