Law reform submissions
One of the Law Society's most valued roles is to provide an informed, reasoned and representative voice for lawyers and for the public on Bills as they are introduced to Parliament and considered by select committees.
This justification for this role is set out under Section 65 of the Lawyers and Conveyancers Act 2006:
(e) to assist and promote, for the purpose of upholding the rule of law and facilitating the administration of justice in New Zealand, the reform of the law.
Law Society committees often uncover aspects of the law needing reform. These are brought to the Government's attention and pursued until reform is achieved. The NZLS does not approach this role on the basis of personal views on the desirability of a particular measure, nor does it try to make political or value judgements. The object is to help provide better, more workable, more even-handed legislation.
It also provides comments on Law Commission and government agency discussion papers.
- Officials’ Issues Paper – Simplifying the collection of tax on employee share schemes, 5 May 2015 07 May 2015 (399.5 KB)
- Taxation (Annual Rates, Research and Development, and Remedial Matters) Bill 04 May 2015 (533.3 KB)
- Customs and Excise Act 1996 review, 1 May 2015 04 May 2015 (479.1 KB)
- Environment Canterbury Review, 1 May 2015 04 May 2015 (391.3 KB)
- Drug and Alcohol Testing of Community-based Offenders and Bailees Legislation Bill, 23 April 2015 30 Apr 2015 (386.3 KB)
- QWB00078 GST: non-profit bodies – registration, accounting for GST, de-registration, 24 April 2015 29 Apr 2015 (415.1 KB)
- Submission on the Weathertight Homes Resolution Services Amendment Bill, 16 April 2015 23 Apr 2015 (387.6 KB)
- IRRUIP8: Unit trusts – whether more than one unit holder is required, 20 April 2015 23 Apr 2015 (546.5 KB)
- PUB0219 Whether the cost of acquiring an option is part of the cost of acquiring revenue account land, 20 April 2015 23 Apr 2015 (400.1 KB)
- Related Parties Debt Remission issues paper, 13 April 2015 13 Apr 2015 (420.9 KB)
Last updated on the 28th April 2015