Law reform submissions
One of the Law Society's most valued roles is to provide an informed, reasoned and representative voice for lawyers and for the public on Bills as they are introduced to Parliament and considered by select committees.
This justification for this role is set out under Section 65 of the Lawyers and Conveyancers Act 2006:
(e) to assist and promote, for the purpose of upholding the rule of law and facilitating the administration of justice in New Zealand, the reform of the law.
Law Society committees often uncover aspects of the law needing reform. These are brought to the Government's attention and pursued until reform is achieved. The NZLS does not approach this role on the basis of personal views on the desirability of a particular measure, nor does it try to make political or value judgements. The object is to help provide better, more workable, more even-handed legislation.
It also provides comments on Law Commission and government agency discussion papers.
- Companies and Limited Partnerships Amendment Bill, Supplementary Order Paper 403 – letter to Minister of Commerce, 4 December 2013 05 Dec 2013 (382.9 KB)
- Proposed changes to District Court Rules Costs Schedule in relation to Appeals and Interlocutory Matters, 28 November 2013 28 Nov 2013 (327.3 KB)
- Summary Offences (Possession of Hand-held Lasers) Amendment Bill 25 Nov 2013 (420.6 KB)
- Criminal Procedure Rules 2012, 22 November 2013 25 Nov 2013 (386.3 KB)
- Income tax – Entry of a new partner into a partnership – effect on continuing partners (draft QWB0101) and GST – Transfer of interest in a partnership (draft QWB0132); 21 November 2013 21 Nov 2013 (345.3 KB)
- New Family Legal Support Service, 21 November 2013 21 Nov 2013 (495.2 KB)
- Vulnerable Children Bill, 6 November 2013 14 Nov 2013 (609.5 KB)
- Sentencing (Protection of Children from Criminal Offending) Amendment Bill, 5 November 2013 05 Nov 2013 (427.8 KB)
- Public Safety (Public Protection Orders) Bill, 1 November 2013 04 Nov 2013 (546.0 KB)
- Credit Contracts and Financial Services Law Reform Bill, 1 November 2013 01 Nov 2013 (459.2 KB)
Last updated on the 15th July 2013