Law reform submissions
One of the Law Society's most valued roles is to provide an informed, reasoned and representative voice for lawyers and for the public on Bills as they are introduced to Parliament and considered by select committees.
This justification for this role is set out under Section 65 of the Lawyers and Conveyancers Act 2006:
(e) to assist and promote, for the purpose of upholding the rule of law and facilitating the administration of justice in New Zealand, the reform of the law.
Law Society committees often uncover aspects of the law needing reform. These are brought to the Government's attention and pursued until reform is achieved. The NZLS does not approach this role on the basis of personal views on the desirability of a particular measure, nor does it try to make political or value judgements. The object is to help provide better, more workable, more even-handed legislation.
It also provides comments on Law Commission and government agency discussion papers.
- Geographical Indications (Wines and Spirits) Amendment Bill, 29 April 2016 05 May 2016 (536.2 KB)
- Substance Addiction (Compulsory Assessment and Treatment) Bill, 29 April 2016 05 May 2016 (469.5 KB)
- Draft guidelines to Practice and Procedure for Accident Compensation Appeals in the District Court, 28 April 2016. 28 Apr 2016 (541.4 KB)
- Next steps for freshwater management, 21 April 2016 26 Apr 2016 (555.4 KB)
- PUB00260 Income Tax – Land acquired for a purpose or with an intention of disposal, 7 April 2016 07 Apr 2016 (526.7 KB)
- Implementation of the Trans-Pacific Partnership Intellectual Property Chapter, 30 March 2016 07 Apr 2016 (673.2 KB)
- PUB00227: Are Proceeds from the Sale of Gold Income? 5 April 2016 07 Apr 2016 (547.6 KB)
- Lawyers’ employee exemption, Immigration Advisers Licensing Act 2007, 1 April 2016 05 Apr 2016 (395.8 KB)
- Implementing the global standard on automatic exchange of information, 31 March 2016 31 Mar 2016 (601.3 KB)
- Civil Defence Emergency Management Amendment Bill, 24 March 2016 31 Mar 2016 (506.2 KB)
Last updated on the 3rd June 2015