Law reform submissions
One of the Law Society's most valued roles is to provide an informed, reasoned and representative voice for lawyers and for the public on Bills as they are introduced to Parliament and considered by select committees.
This justification for this role is set out under Section 65 of the Lawyers and Conveyancers Act 2006:
(e) to assist and promote, for the purpose of upholding the rule of law and facilitating the administration of justice in New Zealand, the reform of the law.
Law Society committees often uncover aspects of the law needing reform. These are brought to the Government's attention and pursued until reform is achieved. The NZLS does not approach this role on the basis of personal views on the desirability of a particular measure, nor does it try to make political or value judgements. The object is to help provide better, more workable, more even-handed legislation.
It also provides comments on Law Commission and government agency discussion papers.
- Draft National Ethical Standards for Health and Disability Research, 18 September 2018 18 Sep 2018 (380.5 KB)
- Family and Whanau Violence Legislation Bill, draft Information-Sharing Guidelines – consultation, 3 September 2018 04 Sep 2018 (540.7 KB)
- Insolvency Practitioners Bill, SOP 45, 24 August 2018 27 Aug 2018 (480.4 KB)
- Taxation (Annual Rates for 2018-19, Modernising Tax Administration, and Remedial Matters) Bill, 15 August 2018 16 Aug 2018 (579.7 KB)
- Draft National Planning Standards – consultation, 9 August 2018 13 Aug 2018 (653.8 KB)
- Public Rulings Issues Paper No 11: Whether remuneration paid to an employee in cryptocurrency is subject to PAYE or FBT, 6 August 2018 06 Aug 2018 (526.3 KB)
- Increasing the Transparency of Beneficial Ownership of New Zealand Companies and Limited Partnerships 03 Aug 2018 (432.0 KB)
- Election Access Fund Bill, 24 July 2018 24 Jul 2018 (458.4 KB)
- United Nations: Universal Periodic Review, NZLS shadow report, 12 July 2018 19 Jul 2018 (512.9 KB)
- Insurance contract law review, 16 July 2018 16 Jul 2018 (595.5 KB)
Last updated on the 3rd June 2015