New Zealand Law Society

Navigation menu

Useful Forms


An application for admission must include an originating application, made by counsel who moves the admission of the candidate in form LA 1, plus an affidavit in support, sworn by the candidate:

Candidates with a current practising certificate in Australia, (qualifying under s49(4) LCA (under the Trans-Tasman Mutual Recognition Act 1997)), must apply direct to the High Court, following form LA 4.

The Law Society suggests all applicants should use form LA 5 to seek to have the order for admission sealed, and should hold a copy for possible future use.

(The above forms are all precedents prepared by the Law Society.)

Applicants will also need to apply to the Society for a Certificate of Character, attaching referee reports.

Certificates of Standing

Law firms

Practice without a Trust Account

Practising certificate

Profession legal education

You can use the Professional Education Record form to note all your professional education over this twelve month period.

Real estate services

Use the Real Estate Services form to notify the Law Society of any intention to start or stop offering real estate services.



Please use the Application for a Refund of your Practising Certificate form to notify the Law Society that you wish to cancel your practising certificate and request a refund for the unused portion of your practising fees. This form must be completed and signed by the person whose name is on the practising certificate.

Fees rebate for part-time lawyers

If you are a part-time lawyer, you may be eligible for a rebate on your practising fee. The rebate applies in arrears, and lawyers may apply for a rebate from 1 July of the practising fee paid for the previous full year from 1 July to 30 June.

Use the Application for Rebate of Practising Fee form to apply for a rebate on your practising fee.

Notifying changes

Sole practice

Sole practitioners and sole directors of incorporated law firms are required, under s44(1)(a) and the Schedule 1 of the LCA, to give a power of attorney and appoint an alternate.

Trust Account certificates

All monthly and quarterly Trust Account certificates are filed online via Registry.

Last updated on the 21st May 2020