Waikato Bay of Plenty Branch
The Waikato Bay of Plenty branch of the New Zealand Law Society had its beginnings when the Hamilton District Law Society was founded on 8 December 1911. On 1 February 1989, substantial parts of the Bay of Plenty and Thames/Coromandel area were transferred from the Auckland District Law Society to the Hamilton District Law Society. The name Waikato Bay of Plenty District Law Society was adopted in 1993. This became the Waikato Bay of Plenty branch of the New Zealand Law Society on 1 February 2009.
Governance is by an elected Branch Council, consisting of the branch President, the Vice-President and eight Council members. The President, Russell Boot, represents the branch on the New Zealand Law Society's Council.
The branch functions include:
- representing and serving the interests of local Law Society members;
- upholding the fundamental obligations imposed by the Lawyers and Conveyancers Act 2006 on lawyers who provide regulated services;
- attending to representative functions, including promoting collegiality within the branch;
- assisting and promoting law reform.
The Waikato Bay of Plenty branch area includes the centres of Cambridge, Edgecumbe, Hamilton, Huntly, Katikati, Kawerau, Matamata, Morrinsville, Mount Maunganui, Murupara, Ngaruawahia, Opotiki, Otorohanga, Paeroa, Putaruru, Raglan, Rotorua, Taneatua, Taumarunui, Taupo, Tauranga, Te Aroha, Te Awamutu, Te Kauwhata, Te Kuiti, Te Puke, Tirau, Tokoroa, Turangi, Waihi and Whakatane.
Lawyers in Practice
At 1 October 2015 there were 1078 practising lawyers in the Waikato Bay of Plenty branch area.
Last updated on the 22nd June 2017