Crown Law provides legal advice and representation services to the government in matters affecting the executive government. The services provided include matters covering judicial review of government actions, constitutional questions including Treaty of Waitangi issues, the enforcement of criminal law and the protection of revenue. Crown Law also administers the prosecution process in the criminal justice system, in particular, trials on indictment before juries and provides leadership to several Government networks.
We are looking to appoint a lawyer with approximately 5+ years PQE, into our Treaty team, which deals with issues with a Maori/Crown dimension. We are seeking applications from lawyers who are interested in:
- working at the interface of government and te ao Maori;
- advice work, litigation, mediation and negotiation for the Crown;
- joining a diverse team of great people, who are committed to a collegial, supportive and enjoyable environment, and care about the
- issues they are working on.
A role in this team offers:
- cutting-edge work spanning a range of areas of law (including for example constitutional, public and administrative law, commercial law and equity/trusts);
- development opportunities for anyone wanting to pursue a litigation career. It provides great opportunities for appearances and witness work. Most of our High Court litigation goes to the Court of Appeal and often all the way to the Supreme Court;
- experience in Treaty-related issues, a component of any public sector or public law career;
- opportunities to further your knowledge of tikanga Maori and te reo;
- contact with Ministers;
- autonomy in terms of taking charge of files and client relationships;
- opportunities to mentor and develop junior staff.
We would like to talk to people with a range of skill-sets. We are interested in applicants with strong analytical skills, practical problem-solving skills and people skills. We do not require litigation experience. Public sector experience is desirable but not essential.
We have offices in Wellington and Auckland but at this point are looking for a Wellington based position. We support flexible working arrangements.
To apply, please use the following link: http://crownlaw.qjumpers.co.nz/jobs/apply/?jobid=60004&src=254
All applications should include a covering letter, curriculum vitae and transcript.
Applications Close: 2 March 2020
For a copy of the Job Description visit https://www.qjumpers.co.nz/60004/desc/
Last updated on the 12th February 2020