Deputy General Counsel - Auckland
- Exciting, newly created legal leadership position
- Opportunity for strategic influence
- Make your mark as a trusted business advisor
- Auckland CBD
Here is an exciting, legal leadership position for a senior lawyer within an award-winning business with the opportunity for strategic influence.
In this newly created role, you will be responsible for delivering timely, accurate and commercially focused legal advice to the New Zealand and Pacific operations of global insurer, QBE. As the first appointee to this role, you will set the framework for the legal function and make your own mark establishing systems, processes and relationships to develop an awareness of legal risk and ensure the business meets best practice requirements. Reporting to the Australian based General Counsel and with a dotted line report to the Chief Customer Officer NZ and Pacific (CEO), the Deputy General Counsel will be an integral part of the NZPAC leadership team and provide well-reasoned, practical advice to support business initiatives and strategic priorities.
As the primary point of contact, you will advise on a broad range of strategic and day to day matters across all facets of the New Zealand and Pacific operations. This includes advising on commercial, insurance, financial services, consumer, privacy and competition law issues as well providing transaction support and undertaking compliance and regulatory work. In addition, you will assist in resolving disputes and litigation, effectively manage external lawyers and keep the business updated on new and proposed legislation and policy changes.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Tertiary qualification in law and current NZ practising certificate (or eligibility to hold one)
- Minimum of 10 years' PQE with a background in corporate and commercial law
- Specialist knowledge of insurance and financial services law, with some in-house experience preferable
- Proven leadership and strategic ability
- Sound analysis, interpretation and negotiation skills
- High level of commercial awareness with a pragmatic, solutions focused approach
- An authentic, collaborative and self-directed working style
- Ability to manage priorities and work flexibly in a fast-paced business environment
This is a great opportunity to add real value in a legal leadership role within a market leading business committed to delivering high quality experiences and outcomes for its customers. With a culture that values diversity and inclusion and supports a range of flexible work arrangements to promote a healthy work life balance, the stage is set for your rewarding and inspiring next career move with QBE!
For a confidential discussion about this opportunity, please contact Jennifer Williams at Williams Legal Recruitment on 027 220 8003 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated on the 24th June 2019