General Counsel - Auckland
- Report to the Chief Executive Officer
- Build and manage the legal and compliance function
- Join a friendly team in a flexible, collaborative working environment
- Leverage your legal and strategic leadership skills in an innovative, values-based organisation that is working hard to achieve its strategic vision.
About the role
As the General Counsel of the Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei Trust, you will work closely with the Chief Executive Officer and its elected Board to provide advice and support on all legal and regulatory matters that affect the Trust.
In this newly created role, you will, amongst other things, identify and address commercial, social or environmental challenges and opportunities, establish a legal and compliance framework, manage and report on risk, draft and negotiate contracts and other arrangements, protect the Trust’s intellectual property and other rights, oversee proceedings and disputes, implement processes and facilitate training to ensure ongoing compliance with legal and regulatory obligations.
This is a permanent full time role based in the city of Auckland.
What we’re looking for
- At least 10 years’ post-admission experience, gained from private practice and inhouse.
- Experience in corporate and commercial law, with some property and litigation management experience. An understanding of Maori law would be useful but not essential.
- Solutions-focused and pragmatic, with strong communication, analytical and negotiation skills.
- Strong influencing skills, capable of building positive internal and external relationships.
- If not fluent in Te Reo, willing to learn.
About the entity
Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei are one of the hapū (sub-tribe) of the wider Ngāti Whātua iwi (tribe). Every member can trace their whakapapa (genealogy) to Tuperiri and are descended from the 3 hapu: Te Tāōū, Ngāoho and Te Uringutu, collectively referred to as Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei.
Guided by core principles (including positive leadership, kinship and unity), the Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei Trust is a post-settlement governance entity that looks after the collective affairs of the hapū. It is committed to managing, protecting and governing the Trust’s assets to ensure the cultural, commercial and social development of Ngāti Whātua Ōrākei for the benefit of its members.
See http://ngatiwhatuaorakei.com/ for more information.
How do I apply?
Click "here". Alternatively, contact us directly and quote reference number 875925.
Enjel Phoon BA LLB
027 232 1044 | email@example.com
Kathryn Cross BMus LLB
027 700 8049 | firstname.lastname@example.org
At Artemis Executive Recruitment, we connect remarkable people with great places to work.
Last updated on the 24th July 2019