Lawyers and Senior Lawyers - MSD Legal - Wellington
- Range of permanent lawyer and senior lawyer roles
- Opportunity to work on legal issues across MSD’s business
- Flexible working and commitment to your development
About the role and our team
We're looking for talented and team-focused Lawyers and Senior Lawyers who can bring expertise and initiative to the Ministry of Social Development's Legal team.
MSD Legal team has a strong organisational reach and it provides advice to all MSD business units - our work is diverse and interesting.
These newly created permanent roles are based in our Wellington National Office in the Litigation, Public Law, and Corporate Law Teams.
You’ll have an opportunity to work in the following areas;
- Supporting MSD in relation to the Royal Commission of Inquiry into Historic Abuse in State Care as well as MSD’s Historic Claims team;
- Supporting the development and implementation of the Government’s social welfare law reform programme;
- Advising and supporting MSD in respect of commercial activities, including contracting and procurement, privacy, employment, and health and safety laws.
You’ll join a supportive and fun environment where we will prioritise your learning and development.
While you might be based in one team and focus primarily in one area, there will be opportunities to work collaboratively across MSD Legal. MSD’s work is varied, and this is reflected in our legal work. We are therefore inviting expressions of interest from lawyers and senior lawyers who have an interest across the areas outlined above.
We are genuinely committed to supporting flexible working – how you work matters to us more than when you work. We are open to your suggestions around flexible working arrangements.
Skills and experience
We need our lawyers to be;
- Great at providing high quality legal advice and advocacy;
- Able to build and maintain strong relationships with clients;
- Great at working in a team environment.
We need our senior lawyers to;
- Be leaders in their area of expertise – you will get the opportunity to lead major pieces of legal advice and engage with senior leaders across the organisation;
- Support the development of more junior staff – we regularly see our senior lawyers move into team manager roles or more specialised legal positions that require expert knowledge or skills.
We are committed to providing quality legal services – we are looking for lawyers and senior lawyers with the same motivation who can help foster a culture of quality across their work and MSD Legal more generally.
How to apply
More information is outlined in the attached Job Description.
To apply, please review the MSD website and click Apply Now.
We’d love to hear from you if you are interested – if you’d like to have a confidential chat, please contact Stuart McGilvray, Public Law Team Manager, on 0210454192 or Stuart.firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you’d like to apply please indicate in your cover letter:
- what areas of practice outlined above you are interested in
- why you are motivated to join MSD Legal
Applications close Sunday 20 October 2019
Last updated on the 7th October 2019