Senior Role-Family Disputes - Hamilton
Norris Ward McKinnon is a well-established specialist firm located in the Hamilton CBD. We have an opportunity for an experienced senior person to join our Family Disputes team.
You will be working closely with Partners and other team members, highly experienced family lawyers actively involved in the legal and business community. As a senior team member you will be involved in a range of family matters including parenting; guardianship; family violence and protection orders; adoption; paternity; spousal maintenance; dissolution of marriage/civil union; relationship property agreements and disputes; contracting out agreements and protection of personal and property rights. You’ll also be encouraged to help mentor and supervise junior lawyers in the team, to reach their full potential, and give you a rewarding coaching aspect to this role.
You’ll be part of a cohesive, collaborative team where everyone’s input is valued, where we value your home and work commitments and celebrate success. Tech savvy, you’ll be working with advanced legal technology in modern open plan offices.
As a successful applicant you will have:
- Minimum 5+ years’ experience working in a family law practice in New Zealand
- A demonstrable commitment to client service
- Business development skills and an affinity for networking
- A collaborative approach where you enjoy working in a fast paced team environment
- The ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- An attitude of always striving for excellence in everything that you do
- A growth mind-set, where you show a passion for continuous improvement in your practice of the law and the way in which you deliver client service.
- A high level of computer literacy and an ability to learn new programmes quickly and utilise them efficiently
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, particularly the ability to explain legal concepts in plain English
Benefits of working at Norris Ward McKinnon
Robust team support:
- Experienced junior lawyers with thorough research skills
- Partners and senior lawyers who are accessible and actively involved in mentoring
- Highly experienced support staff
Collaborative firm environment:
- Ability to bounce ideas off other people and have down time with a fun, positive team
- As a full service firm you’ll have access to property, litigation, tax, and business law experts from other specialist teams
- Regular forums to connect with your peers; open-plan layout to support communication on files; and a very active social club
- Strong links to our community and NWM initiatives that support local charities along with a culture of ‘giving back’
- Access to ongoing CPD courses (over and above Law Society requirements)
- Access to current legal resources and databases
- Modern Practice Management software, InfinityLaw, to help manage files
- As a member of NZ Law, we have access to superb legal conferences and enjoy collegial relationships with member firms, enabling successful cross-referrals and support
- Remote computer access so you can access email & client files from anywhere
- Strong mentoring from Partners and Associates
- Rapid exposure to corporate clients the team advises on a regular basis
- Encouragement to build a strong network of internal and external key contacts to support your future legal practice
- Clear career options which are raised up-front; you show us the talent, we’ll show you the opportunities
About Norris Ward McKinnon
Norris Ward McKinnon was founded in 1919 by Car Norris and Joe Ward. Since then we have grown to be one of the largest and most respected legal practices in the Waikato. Our success is driven by a focus on excellence, placing our clients first, promoting collaboration, and being dedicated to excellence within the legal sector. We have a strong team culture based on collaboration and growth for both the team and you as an individual. We are committed to providing a supportive, family-friendly environment. We recognise that our people are our greatest asset – and our culture and systems reflect this attitude.
If you believe our firm and this opportunity is the right fit for you, contact our Practice Manager, Carmen Simmonds by emailing your full CV and cover letter, with the subject line ‘Family Law Solicitor’ to firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated on the 12th September 2019