Solicitor Commercial Disputes & Employment - Hamilton
Full Service Law Firm
Norris Ward McKinnon is a well-established specialist firm located in the Hamilton CBD. We have an opportunity for a solicitor with two or more years’ experience to join our Commercial Disputes & Employment team.
You will be working closely with Associates and the Partner of the team, highly capable lawyers who are actively involved in the Hamilton and national legal and business community. You can read more about the team on our website www.nwm.co.nz/our-team
We need people who have strong technical skills and an appetite for fast-paced matters across a broad spectrum of employer and employee clients, in a diverse range of industries. We’re looking for lawyers who can practice in employment or civil litigation and who have between 1 – 4 years’ experience.
In the employment role, a typical day will have you working with clients on employment processes, restructuring, performance management, dismissal, grievances, and mediation. You’ll gain and grow an awareness of legislation such as, holidays and minimum entitlements, parental leave, health and safety and more.
In the civil litigation role you’ll be involved in dispute matters spanning contracts and agreements, construction, resource management, and insolvency.
The successful candidate(s) will have an opportunity to shape which practice areas they wish to develop.
We recognise and celebrate success. We also recognise the importance of your commitments outside of the office. Flexible working arrangements are a part of our firm’s culture and we encourage you to plan how your lifestyle and work practices will fit together so you have the best of both worlds.
As a successful applicant you will ideally have:
- Minimum two years’ experience, preferably working in a commercial practice in New Zealand
- A strong commitment to client service
- The ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- An attitude of always striving for excellence in everything that you do
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, particularly the ability to explain legal concepts in plain English
Benefits of working at Norris Ward McKinnon
- Inclusive and supportive culture in a values-based firm, where people are recognised
- Senior lawyers willing to invest in your success as a lawyer
- Collaborative environment focused on team interaction
- Community minded people with integrity and high standards
- Flexible work practices
Robust team support
- Highly capable Personal Assistants with strong technology experience
- Colleagues who are accessible, actively involved in mentoring and care about your welfare and development
- Ability to bounce ideas off other people and have down time with a fun, positive team
- Within our full service firm you have access to commercial, corporate, property, tax, and family law experts from other specialist teams
- Regular forums to connect with your peers; open-plan layout to support communication on files; and a very active social club
- Access to ongoing CPD courses (over and above Law Society requirements)
- Access to current legal resources and databases
- We run modern Practice Management software, Infinitylaw, to help manage files
- As a member of NZ Law, we have access to superb legal conferences and enjoy collegial relationships with member firms, enabling successful cross-referrals and support
- Remote access to computer systems so that you can access email & client files from anywhere
- Strong mentoring from Partners and Associates
- Rapid exposure to business clients the team advises on a regular basis
- Encouragement to build a strong network of internal and external key contacts to support your future legal practice
- Clear career options
If you believe our firm and this opportunity is the right fit for you, contact our Practice Manager, Carmen Simmonds by emailing your full CV and cover letter, with the subject line ‘Commercial Disputes Employment Opportunity’ to email@example.com
Last updated on the 6th July 2020