Solicitor Litigation - Auckland
- Join our Ministry and influence change for all New Zealanders
- Improve outcomes for children
Oranga Tamariki - Ministry for Children, is the Ministry that supports children and young people in New Zealand. Oranga Tamariki works to advance the wellbeing and positive long-term outcomes of children and young people. In everything we do, the wellbeing and best interests of children are paramount. The voices of children and young people underpin the design and operation of our services.
About the role
The legal team supports Oranga Tamariki to achieve the goal of all tamariki being in loving whānau and communities where Oranga Tamariki can be realised. The team is a central part of the business providing strategic advice across all work areas. We are seeking an experienced Solicitor to join our Legal Services team in Auckland. You will be involved in providing high quality solution focused legal advice and advocacy services on the range of operational issues facing Oranga Tamariki.
A particular focus for this role will be advice and support for Youth Justice social workers, National Call Centre staff members and Adoptions social workers together with general support for Care or Protection practitioners.
The role will require the conduct of litigation in the Family Court and at times in the Youth Court or other Tribunals and will provide support in the management of legal issues and risk.
Skills and experience
To be successful you will have:
- Been admitted as a Barrister and Solicitor in New Zealand and have (or be eligible for) a practicing certificate
- Practical experience of at least two years providing advice to clients and in conducting litigation before Courts and Tribunals
- A good knowledge of family law and ideally in the care or protection area
- Knowledge of Youth Justice and Adoptions law would be an advantage
- Solid understanding of the justice system
- Outstanding relationship management skills with the ability to promote the legal services team
- Full driver's licence is essential as travel may be required as part of this role
What we offer
We offer a dedicated and supportive team, flexible work options and the opportunity to apply your skills and experience to the wellbeing of tamariki.
How to apply
Applications close Sunday, 12 July 2020
To find out more about this role, you can view the position description below:
Last updated on the 30th June 2020