New Zealand Law Society

Navigation menu

What happens to your children when you part?

When parents have difficulties in their relationship, it affects the children. Your lawyer, local Relationship Services, Family Court Coordinator or Citizens Advice Bureau can put you in touch with counselling services. If your problems are such that you decide to part, this guide explains what happens to your children and what help is available.

This guide covers:

  • Telling your children
  • Family violence
  • Be an involved parent
  • Legal issues
  • Guardianship
  • Care of children
  • Contact with children
  • Moving away
  • Going to court
  • Child support




Last updated on the 1st December 2018