Law reform submissions
One of the Law Society's most valued roles is to provide an informed, reasoned and representative voice for lawyers and for the public on Bills as they are introduced to Parliament and considered by select committees.
This justification for this role is set out under Section 65 of the Lawyers and Conveyancers Act 2006:
(e) to assist and promote, for the purpose of upholding the rule of law and facilitating the administration of justice in New Zealand, the reform of the law.
Law Society committees often uncover aspects of the law needing reform. These are brought to the Government's attention and pursued until reform is achieved. The NZLS does not approach this role on the basis of personal views on the desirability of a particular measure, nor does it try to make political or value judgements. The object is to help provide better, more workable, more even-handed legislation.
It also provides comments on Law Commission and government agency discussion papers.
- Distributions from foreign trusts, 12 September 2019 12 Sep 2019 (209.3 KB)
- Plant Variety Rights Options Paper, 11 September 2019 12 Sep 2019 (343.2 KB)
- Taxation (KiwiSaver, Student Loans, and Remedial Matters), 4 September 2019 06 Sep 2019 (265.5 KB)
- Income tax — application of discretion in section 18D(2) TAA – an exception to confidentiality, 16 August 2019 20 Aug 2019 (289.1 KB)
- Intellectual Property Laws Omnibus Bill Discussion Paper, 16 August 2019 16 Aug 2019 (394.3 KB)
- Income tax - application of ESSR rules to employer issued crypto-assets provided to an employee, 15 August 2019 15 Aug 2019 (173.3 KB)
- Regulations for the appointment of youth advocates under the Oranga Tamariki Act 1989, 13 August 2019 14 Aug 2019 (138.3 KB)
- Smoke-Free Environments (Prohibiting Smoking in Vehicles Carrying Children) Amendment Bill, 7 August 2019 07 Aug 2019 (328.0 KB)
- Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill, 16 July 2019 16 Jul 2019 (260.4 KB)
- Exposure Draft — Civil Aviation Bill, 4 July 2019 04 Jul 2019 (234.6 KB)
Last updated on the 3rd June 2015