One of the Law Society's most valued roles is to provide an informed, reasoned and representative voice for lawyers and for the public on Bills as they are introduced to Parliament and considered by select committees.
This justification for this role is set out under Section 65 of the Lawyers and Conveyancers Act 2006:
(e) to assist and promote, for the purpose of upholding the rule of law and facilitating the administration of justice in New Zealand, the reform of the law.
Law Society committees often uncover aspects of the law needing reform. These are brought to the Government's attention and pursued until reform is achieved. The NZLS does not approach this role on the basis of personal views on the desirability of a particular measure, nor does it try to make political or value judgements. The object is to help provide better, more workable, more even-handed legislation.
It also provides comments on Law Commission and government agency discussion papers.
- Goods and Services Tax – GST and agency, 23 October 2020
- Proposed Guidelines for the Posthumous Use of Gametes, Reproductive Tissue and Stored Embryos 21 October 2020
- Plant Variety Rights review, outstanding issues, 17 September 2020 (365 KB)
- Taxation legislation drafting review, 1 September 2020
- ED0223: Non resident employers obligations cross-border employment, 2 September 2020
- Donated trading stock, 1 September 2020
- Improving Access to Civil Justice 26 Aug 2020 (376 KB)
- PUB00326: minor development or division work, revised examples, 25 June 2020 17 Aug 2020 (178.8 KB)
- Overseas Investment Amendment Bill (No 3), 12 August 2020 13 Aug 2020 (262.3 KB)
- Taxation (Annual Rates for 2020-21 Feasibility Expenditure and Remedial Matters) Bill, 12 August 2020 13 Aug 2020 (303.6 KB)
- New Zealand Bill of Rights (Declarations of Inconsistency) Amendment Bill, 7 August 2020 10 Aug 2020 (272.3 KB)
- Rules Committee Unbundled Legal Services - 14 March 2019 06 Aug 2020 (172.5 KB)
- l-Education and Workforce SC-Screen Industry Workers Bill, 17 July 2020 20 Jul 2020 (241.4 KB)
- Covid-19 PHR (Air Border) Order 2020, 9 July 2020 17 Jul 2020 (181.6 KB)
- Child Support Amendment Bill, 24 June 2020 25 Jun 2020 (280.5 KB)
- COVID-19 Recovery (Fast-track Consenting) Bill, 19 June 2020 24 Jun 2020 (264.2 KB)
- Class Actions, Supreme Court appeal-NZLS intervenor submissions, 16 March 2020 18 Jun 2020 (267.8 KB)