A nail salon has been fined $13,500 in the Auckland District Court after pleading guilty to a charge of using a banned substance.
Kiwi Nails and Spa Ltd was charged by WorkSafe under the Hazardous Substances and New Organisms Act 1996.
WorkSafe says the salon was inspected by WorkSafe and the Auckland Council and it was discovered that the company was using a substance called methyl methacrylate to glue artificial nails onto customers' nails.
"Methacrylate is a banned substance and is not allowed to be used as a component or ingredient in any cosmetic product," WorkSafe says.
"It is known to cause drowsiness, headaches and trembling hands if people are exposed to the fumes, and it can cause damage to nails and irritate customer’s skin on contact. It is also one of the main components in the manufacture of plastics."
“It is unacceptable for companies to put workers and customers in harm’s way by using banned substances which they know are toxic and illegal," says WorkSafe's Acting General Manager Operations and Special Services, Simon Humphries.