Well-known and highly respected Wellington judge, Chief Judge Raymond Douglas Jamieson, died late July. He was Chief Judge of the Arbitration Court until his retirement in 1979.
On his retirement, he described his career as being "as varied as it is possible to have". Indeed, he had been involved in almost every facet of legal administration.
With an impressive reputation for prudence in the field of industrial relations, he was called back from retirement for three months in 1980. He was also recalled to preside over liquor licensing hearings, having been a chairman of the Liquor Licensing Commission from 1971 to 1974.
In 1974 he was appointed Judge of the then Industrial Court.
Chief Judge Jamieson was respected for his relaxed and gentle style of piloting a case, balanced by a deep analytical legal knowledge. He became best known in Wellington while working as a stipendiary magistrate between 1961 and his elevation to the judiciary in 1974.
He was born at Rangiora, and educated at Waitaki Boys' High and St Andrew's College (Christchurch). He gained a law degree at Canterbury University, and started his legal career with a Christchurch firm. He began his own practice in Ranfurly, Central Otago. War service interrupted in 1942.
He returned to practice in New Plymouth in 1944. There he took active roles in the Law Society and the Returned Services Association.
This was first published on page 1 of the August 1982 issue of Council Brief, the monthly newsletter of Wellington District Law Society.