Mr John Kevin Cullinane, a former Wellington District Law Society Council member, died in Greytown in September. He was born in Dannevirke in 1928, his family being early settlers in the southern Hawke's Bay where his father and member of his family were engaged in farming.
Following his leaving school he studied law at Victoria University and later graduated as a Master of Laws.
Following a period gaining experience in a Wellington legal firm he took up practice in Wairarapa in 1950, initially at Featherston where he joined in partnership with the late Mr Curtiss in the firm of Card and Curtiss.
In 1953 he moved to Greytown where he joined the late Messrs JW Thompson and JW Tate in partnership. Following their deaths he continued the practice and in later years was joined by Mr EFR Cooke.
Mr Cullinane became widely known throughout the Wairarapa in many aspects of his practice particularly those related to farming. he played an active and continuing role in community projects outside his practice.
In his earlier years he was involved in Greytown Jaycees, and served a term as president. He served a term as president in 1972/73 of the Wairarapa Branch of the Wellington District Law Society and as such was a member of the Wellington District Law Society Council.
At the time of his death he was vice-president of the Greytown Rotary Club, vice-president of the Wairarapa Racing Club and a steward of the Wairarapa and Carterton Racing Clubs in addition to holding posts in other local organisations. He had been South Wairarapa district Coroner for the past three years.
He continued to pursue his sporting interests, particularly in golf, shooting and fishing. He played an active part in Church activities over the years and served for a time as a member of the Wellington Archdiocesan Pastoral Council set up by the late Cardinal McKeefry.
This was first published in the October 1977 issue of Council Brief, the monthly newsletter of the Wellington District Law Society.