The regulations cover live animal exports, the care and conduct towards animals as well as surgical and painful procedures.
Some of the proposals include:
- Banning hot branding of any animal.
- Administering pain relief when dehorning cattle, sheep or goats.
- Requiring adequate shelter for bobby calves.
- Banning de-barking dogs except for therapeutic reasons.
- Consultation is open until 19 May 2016. MPI will also be holding six public meetings across the country.
The new regulations will be progressively introduced from the end of 2016. Some regulations related to young calves may be introduced before the start of the 2016 calving season.