The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) says it has been alerted to an increase in therapeutic and health products and services during the COVID-19 crisis.
“We are aware of an increase in advertising for therapeutic and health products and services, and would like to remind advertisers of their responsibilities under the Therapeutic and Health Advertising Code. COVID-19 has not resulted in any changes to the legislation or codes that advertisers are expected to adhere to in this area,” the ASA says in a statement.
The ASA says it is committed to helping every ad be a responsible ad which is even more important now.
“While our staff are now working remotely, our core services are not impacted at this time.”
The Authority is also reminding advertisers that, prior to preparing and placing their advertisements, advertisers are expected to;
* Be familiar with the relevant legislation and codes; and
* Observe a high standard of social responsibility; and
* Ensure their advertisements are truthful and they must not be misleading; and
* Ensure their advertisements do not confuse consumers, abuse their trust, exploit their lack of knowledge or, without justifiable reason, play on fear; and
* Ensure their advertisements do not exaggerate or raise unrealistic expectations or outcomes.