The Hawke's Bay branch of the New Zealand Law Society had its beginnings on 18 February 1886 when the Hawke's Bay District Law Society was founded. This became the Hawke's Bay branch of the Law Society on 1 February 2009.
Governance is by an elected Branch Council, consisting of the branch President, the Vice-President and seven Council members. The President represents the branch on the New Zealand Law Society's Council.
The branch functions include:
The Hawke's Bay branch includes the centres of Dannevirke, Hastings, Havelock North, Napier, Tamatea, Taradale, Waipawa and Waipukurau.