The Marlborough branch of the New Zealand Law Society had its beginnings on 6 June 1882 when the Marlborough District Law Society was founded. This became the Marlborough branch of the Law Society on 1 February 2009.
Governance is by an elected Branch Council, consisting of the branch President, the Vice-President and six Council members. The President, Emma-Jayne Tucker, represents the branch on the New Zealand Law Society's Council.
The branch functions include representing and serving the interests of local members, upholding the fundamental obligations imposed by the Lawyers and Conveyancers Act 2006 on lawyers who provide regulated services, promoting collegiality within the branch and assisting and promoting law reform.
The Marlborough branch includes the centres of Blenheim, Kaikoura and Picton.