The Otago branch of the New Zealand Law Society had its beginnings on 7 June 1879 when the Law Society of the District of Otago and Southland was founded. This became the Otago branch of the Law Society on 1 February 2009.
Governance is by an elected Branch Council, consisting of the branch President, the Vice-President and ten Council members.
The branch functions include:
The Otago branch area includes the centres of Alexandra, Balclutha, Cromwell, Dunedin, Heriot, Kurow, Lawrence, Milton, Mosgiel, Oamaru, Otematata, Palmerston, Port Chalmers, Queenstown, Ranfurly, Roxburgh, Twizel, Waikouaiti and Wanaka.