The Taranaki branch of the New Zealand Law Society had its beginnings on 6 March 1879 when the Taranaki District Law Society was founded. This became the Taranaki branch on 1 February 2009.
Governance is by an elected Branch Council, consisting of the branch President and nine Council members. The President, Caroline Silk, represents the branch on the New Zealand Law Society's Council.
The branch functions include:
The Taranaki branch includes the following centres: Eltham, Hawera, Inglewood, Kaponga, Manaia, New Plymouth, Opunake, Patea, Stratford, Waitara.